In a recent article about loneliness, the BBC suggested that one way to feel less lonely, would be to take up new social activities and pastimes (though this is not for everybody).
We are blessed in East Croydon with a wide range of activities within walking distance. The added benefit of meeting up with people not far from your home or work is that you often see them again – in the street, at a bus stop, in a cafe or a shop. And sometimes these acquaintances eventually turn into friends.
We have lots of
- activities for children and young people
- support groups, including care associations that can provide befriending services
- sports and special interest groups, everything from lace making to rifle shooting
- political parties and residents associations
- friends of parks groups, who welcome volunteers
- places of worship and charities, who also welcome volunteers